Hot Dog Vending

I know it's only January, but I can't help but think of the upcoming summer. The most important thing for me is getting a good job that will facilitate my entry into the 'real world' after school - being a cashier at a liquor store will not do this.

Lately, I've been thinking of going on a completely different path and starting my own business - a hot dog stand business! Apparently, with a little investment money, you can make a sizable amount of money over a summer. I've read stories of numerous hot dog vendors who make about $100,000 a year. Crazy, eh?

So the next few steps for me are to look into getting a health license, a business license, and a hot dog cart. The city in which I live is very tourist-y in the summer. Apparently it doubles in size. I believe I could make a nice chunk of change by hitting the beaches during the day and the clubs at night.

I worked out some of the math. Selling 1 hot dog every 5 minutes for $5 would generate me about $50/hour profit. If I work 8 hours a day, I think I could make some good money. Maybe I'll even pay off my massive student loans.

My question to you guys  is, do you know anybody who has successfully run a mobile vending business? What do you guys think of my plan?

22 comments:

Copyboy said...
January 3, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Could be a cool way to go. You just have to set yourself apart from the other vendors.

HSP said...
January 3, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Not surprised. Especially if the vendor is in a busy city!

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Drew Briski said...
January 3, 2011 at 8:57 PM

I suggest doing something that doesn't involve payment from a business. Try to do household chores for people and have them pay you. I plan on mowing lawns over the summer. If you have a talent become a street performer. Or beg for money.

Moogz said...
January 3, 2011 at 11:09 PM

i guess then start sellin dem weiners boy.

MRanthrope said...
January 4, 2011 at 12:26 AM

I've been out of school for almost a year and still trying to find my real job! good luck...with the jobs/hotdogs

Unknown said...
January 4, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Good Luck

mrecan said...
January 4, 2011 at 4:33 AM

i dont know anyone, but i would definitely give it a try

Justsayin' said...
January 4, 2011 at 7:03 AM

Good luck on your new venture!

Skimbosh said...
January 4, 2011 at 8:00 AM

I've eaten from many a mobile vendor, and all I can say is that it is competitive and all about location and repeat business.
Nothing like being on the corner of a busy street and having someone know exactly what type of food you want!

p said...
January 4, 2011 at 8:23 AM

no related, but lol at the poll results

Sam said...
January 4, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Don't know any1 in the business but sounds like a good plan. How much do you have to invest?

Anonymous said...
January 4, 2011 at 12:44 PM

I think running a hot dog cart would be really cool! A big cart where you can sit down and have 1 other person working with you would be awesome too. Great blog; following :)

Cari said...
January 4, 2011 at 2:10 PM

lol at whoever said you should do chores over the summer.

lul said...
January 4, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Haha this is awesome! I never knew they could make THAT much money. But sorry I don't know anyone who's done this!
Good luck girl!

Rawr said...
January 4, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Good luck

Monster Madness said...
January 4, 2011 at 3:51 PM

I want a job :(

Les said...
January 4, 2011 at 4:46 PM

That's a pretty tasty profit margin. I hope it goes well for you!

Vapor said...
January 4, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Dammit, now I want a hotdog.

Telia Tuli said...
January 4, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Certainly is something to look into. Really have to see if there is any competition in your area and how much of the proverbial "pie" you can get.

Anonymous said...
January 5, 2011 at 5:19 AM

i wish i can make that much dough in a year..

stm said...
January 5, 2011 at 6:31 AM

if you don't mind the discomfort of standing outside near a heat source during the summer, go for it.

being a young woman instead of a middle-aged man will set you apart and attract customers.

HiFi said...
January 5, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Dude, Hot dog stands are awesome. You can make a lot of contacts that way.

Post a Comment