Top 5 Ways to get TV on your PC

I have a problem: I spend a lot of time in my room, staring at my computer monitor. Watching TV is difficult, as I don't even have a cable hookup in my dorm:

The obvious solution is to watch TV on my computer. Here are the five easiest ways to do that:


5) Bit Torrent 

90% of you use it already. The other 10% want to, but don't know how. Want to catch up on three seasons of your new favourite TV show? Download uTorrent, go to ThePirateBay, and search for it. It's simple enough that anybody can do it.

Pros: Free; simple; early access to movies and games

Cons: Usually illegal, slow speeds; angry Internet Service Providers (ISPs); not live, streaming TV


4) Illegal Streams

There are a number of sites that stream live channels for you. These streamers are normal people who upload a TV signal over their internet connection for your convenience. To generate some income, they often fill their pages with annoying ads.

One of the best sites for finding these streams is ATDHE, which offers popular channels like CNN, Fox, as well as live streams of weekly top TV shows. For live sports, I use MyP2P.eu, which has streams for all major sports leagues and games.

Pros: Free; live;

Cons: Unreliable (streams often go down, or lag); annoying ads; additional software to download (sometimes containing viruses)


3) Legal Streams

Sites like Hulu offer a wide range of shows and movies for free. Or, network sites, like NBC, Global, and CBS, will let you watch their shows after viewing some short advertisements. Regional restrictions prevent this method from becoming more widespread, as Canadians (like myself) generally do not have this option.

Pros: Free; live; watch it when you want it

Cons: Watching repetitive advertisements; geographic limitations; not live; limited programs


2) Legal sports streaming

Websites like ESPN and Yahoo! Sports (in the United States) will stream certain sports games online. In Canada, CBC.ca streams most of its content online (as we pay for it through our taxes), while TSN.ca will do the same for big games.

Pros: High-quality, live streaming; free; easy-to-use

Cons: Limited content; usually must watch it live; geographic limitations


1) Satellite Direct

I saved Satellite Direct for the top of this list because, quite simply, it’s the easiest way to watch TV on your PC.

I’ll try to avoid the sales pitch, as you may have already seen it on TV. It works like this: the customer downloads software that gives you access to around 500 channels. All you need is an internet connection.

Satellite Direct costs a one-time fee of $49. The way I look at it, $49 is less than what many people pay per month with their cable plan. Plus, the hassle of dealing with poor streams, torrents, and angry ISPs is completely avoided – that’s worth something to me. I can spend more time watching commercial free TV and less time clicking through shady sites trying to find a stream of Finding Nemo.

With Satellite Direct, anywhere you have internet, you have TV. It helped me survive my first year of college.  
If you’re interested in getting Satellite Direct for cheap, use my link. It’s the lowest possible price ($49 is the price with my discount).

Pros: Great selection; available in all countries; 24/7 access; cheap (low, one-time fee); no bandwidth limits, subscriptions, or monthly fees; no commercials; legal

Cons: Not free;

10 comments:

Jay said...
April 28, 2011 at 2:41 AM

cool! i'll try the free ones first. :)

-E- said...
April 28, 2011 at 4:41 AM

didn't know about yahoo sports. thanks!

mac-and-me said...
April 28, 2011 at 7:25 AM

how about
appletv
googletv
or any other settop box and some online service like netflix?

ed said...
April 28, 2011 at 8:43 AM

streaming sucks cause my internet is slow

Venus said...
April 28, 2011 at 7:34 PM

thanks for these sites.

MRanthrope said...
April 29, 2011 at 12:24 AM

I've pretty much given up watching TV. We have it in the living room, but I refused to pay extra cash and got rid of the box in my room.

Hive Mind. said...
April 29, 2011 at 12:56 AM

Good post man, I hadn't heard of that illegal stream before!

The Game Store Guy said...
April 29, 2011 at 1:15 AM

Hulu and NetFlix has always worked well for me.

Patti D. said...
May 4, 2011 at 7:17 AM

nice list, I torrent a lot of TV too, the streams are not very good from here.

linkszee said...
June 22, 2011 at 3:24 AM

they're starting to crack down on the streams! :(

i had atdhe bookmarked and just recently found out it was seized! o.0

Post a Comment