Student's Union

So at my university, like most schools, we have a student's union. I've never liked unions. I never really use the stuff they seem to offer, such as health and dental benefits or other random stuff. I used to work at a grocery store and didn't use the union once, but I still payed $20 a paycheck in Union Dues and about twice that in pension.

So the other day I got a letter from the grocery store union saying that my pension is available to me as a lump sum, but due to the recession the amount of money that I paid into the union was sliced in half. I could have put that money into a savings account and made more than twice as much as contributing to the stupid pension fund. Argh makes me so mad.

And then the student's union forces you to manually opt-out of their health and dental insurance every year BUT only if you have valid proof that you have additional coverage. Plus, they make you renew it every year but they don't tell you that you need to renew annually. So last year I ended up paying $400 for health care I didn't know I had. Not that I would have used it because it's so much shittier than my parents' plan. Anyways, this year I hope I can get the paperwork in time to opt out of this shit.

TL;DR I hate unions. Anybody else had similar experiences with unions?

11 comments:

DRIFTO said...
September 9, 2010 at 12:40 PM

interesting! supporting

Croyal said...
September 9, 2010 at 12:41 PM

My school doesn't have a union. Healthcare would be nice though.

Slacker Zach said...
September 9, 2010 at 12:45 PM

I miss college.

uselessnessful said...
September 9, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Unions suck

Kyle said...
September 9, 2010 at 12:52 PM

I don't need to pay those fees. My mom is a professor at the same university I attend, and her coverage works downward onto her family.

Disembodied Giggles said...
September 9, 2010 at 1:10 PM

I don't know about Canada, but in America, unions are a good thing. Particularly teacher's unions. I admittedly only read the 'TL;DR' part...

Discerning Gentleman said...
September 9, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Great ideas here!

Will Henricson said...
September 9, 2010 at 1:38 PM

College! :D

The Loon said...
September 9, 2010 at 1:53 PM

O_o I don't like unions. At least due to the media's influence over me.

Squall said...
September 9, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Yeah man, I had the same experiences like you :/

Snoffaloffagus said...
September 10, 2010 at 1:21 AM

supportin' :) clicked & viewed

Btw, if you remember me, I've started the Dymaxion. It's going well.

Post a Comment