How to write a resume

I attended a resume-building session at my university the other day, and I wanted to pass on some information to my readers.

First of all, get rid of your 'objective' statement at the top (if you have one). A more popular option for today's employers is to have a 'profile statement', which provides a succinct, one-line statement of who you are. E.g. Detail-oriented biology graduate with a passion for educating children.

Next, rather than diving into your work history, provide a quick summary of the highlights of your resume with a "Summary of qualifications" header. This introduces the most relevant and impressive information about you. The key here is to make impressive statements.....which your work history can then back up.

As you may have heard, employers are beginning to look for "quantifiables" on the work history part of your resume. E.g., if you have reduced theft at your liquor store, find some sort of number with which to quantify that - say, Reduced theft by 85% over the six month work period. If you want, make up some numbers. At least it sounds good!

Remove the references section - apparently employers now assume that you will bring about three references into your interview, so having "References available upon request" is redundant.

Don't list your entire work history, or every activity you've ever done. Keep it short and sweet. Employers don't have time to look through 3 page novels these days. Most importantly, sell yourself - don't be modest!


I, for one, had many of these errors on my resume. Hopefully, with these tips I've learned, I'll be able to get in for at least a few interviews. Good luck!

20 comments:

rocknrollcrazy said...
February 10, 2011 at 10:18 PM

i used to have the objective at the top for the longest time, stopped using it about a year ago

for the amount of jobs i've been through in my life, i've picked up lots of good advice on writing resumes, this helps lots :-)

PimpGangsterMedley said...
February 10, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Resumes for programmers / computer-type jobs is very different, it seems. There's also generational gaps in resume approaches.

Thanks for the comment and follow, keep up the great work :D

!sense! said...
February 11, 2011 at 1:12 AM

Must read.

bbmike15 said...
February 11, 2011 at 6:53 AM

thank you for your support

Ugh said...
February 11, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Dude this is actually really helpful.

Cheers! xx

G said...
February 11, 2011 at 2:01 PM

cool post - really helpful

Skimbosh said...
February 11, 2011 at 2:08 PM

>Don't list your entire work history, or every activity you've ever done. Keep it short and sweet.

This is good advice. I think (particularly if you have a varied work history) you should only list relevant jobs. If you can't fill out 3 or 4 in this category, THEN put jobs to fill in the blanks.

REFERENCES: Also Shelby has it spot on; I think you should be prepared to give up three numbers on the spot. Your local physician or old sports coach if possible.

Public Confessions said...
February 11, 2011 at 7:32 PM

i need to write one soon


! come support yourself at -> Motivational confessions

PANDA.JPG said...
February 11, 2011 at 9:32 PM

YES! I can't express how much I'm happy to have found this blog! AWESOME. I needed this too! You're awesome. :D

Quasar green said...
February 11, 2011 at 9:35 PM

wow thanks so much totally gonna use the tips to make my next resume

Das Auto! said...
February 11, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Good tip, but the way I win employers over is with my cover letter. My resume pretty much speaks for itself, since I was managing a cell phone store at the age of 18... they don't need to know i just sat around drinking though.

Mr. Machine said...
February 12, 2011 at 3:07 AM

Great tip, not a lot of attention is spent on this in uni..

Aaron Cunningham said...
February 12, 2011 at 8:06 AM

Wow what an awesome blog, added to MC, See you tommorrow! Check mine out!

Rawr said...
February 12, 2011 at 11:23 AM

wow, interesting post :D

yossarian said...
February 12, 2011 at 1:52 PM

i've never had to write a resume before.. im a jazz pianist. i get all my jobs through word of mouth. maybe someday i'll have to write one though..

Aaron Cunningham said...
February 13, 2011 at 8:17 AM

someones getting paid hahaha see you tomorrow.

Aaron Cunningham said...
February 14, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Good tip, but the way I win employers over is with my cover letter. My resume pretty much speaks for itself, since I was managing a cell phone store at the age of 18... they don't need to know i just sat around drinking though.

Elliot MacLeod-Michael said...
February 20, 2011 at 12:03 AM

I work at a rehab so my education for this consisted of getting high for 15 years. This info could come in handy sometime though. Thanks, following.

fabio_2007 said...
February 20, 2011 at 3:26 AM

thanks for the info, this could be really useful

Marcus Silva said...
February 21, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Hmm, seems like really helpful information. I'll have to 'put it to use.'

Post a Comment